Early Township Organization:  [From Goodspeed 1889]

Texas Township was established in June, 1845, on petition of Elean Martin and others.  Jonathan Knight and John T. McCain were appointed justices.  The boundaries were as follows:  From northeast corner of Section 1, Township 30, Range 7, south with eastern line of county to southern line; thence west to line between Ranges 8 and 9; thence north to line between Townships 30 and 31, and east to beginning.  Meetings were to be held at Joshua Sanders' house, and the owner with Elijah Burch and Wiley Purcell, were appointed judges.

Boone Township was established in June, 1845.  The lines extended from the northeast corner of Section 1, Township 33, Range 9; thence south to line between Townships 31 and 32; thence west to line between Ranges 10 and 11; thence north to county line, and east to beginning.  Elections were to be held at James Buckner's house, and he, with James A. Bates, Joseph Riden and Eli G. Halbert were appointed justices. James Mooney was appointed later.

Piney Township was established in June, 1845, within the following boundaries: From the northeast corner of Section 1, Township 31, Range 9, south of Range line to line between Townships 29 and 30; thence west with that line to line between Ranges 10 and 11; thence north to line between Townships 31 and 32, and east to point of beginning.  John T. Fort, John Stephens and T. C. Trusty were appointed judges of election.  Trencher C. Trusty, John B. Fort, David B. Commons and William Vaughn were appointed justices.

Benton Township was established in June, 1845, the boundaries being from the southeast corner of Section 36, Township 30, Range 9, south of range line to county's southern line; thence to western line of county; thence north to line between townships 29 and 30, and east to the beginning.  Elections were to be held at Charles H. Latimer's house, Samuel H. Selfe, Walker Nicholas and James Woods being appointed judges.  James M. Daugherty and Walter Nicholas were appointed justices.  Abram Enloe and Stephen Holt were appointed later.  In September, 1846, territory west of the mouth of Hog Creek, to the top of ridge, was added.

Jackson Township, established in June, 1845, comprised the territory within the following lines:  From the northeast corner of Section 1, Township 33, Range 7, south with eastern line of county to line between Townships 31 and 30; thence west with town line to range line between 8 and 9; thence north to county line, and thence east to beginning.  The meeting was ordered to be held at Jackson D. Trusty's house, John Sherrill, James B. Campbell and the owner being judges of election.  The two first named and Ransom Craddock were appointed justices.

Roubidoux Township, was established in June, 1845, and was bounded as follows:  From the northeast corner of Section 1, Township 30, Range 11, south with range line to town line between Townships 29 and 30; thence west to county line, north with such line to northern limit, and east to the corner named.  Henry Hawkins' house was the place of meeting, and the owner, with J. W. Ormsby and John McDonald, were appointed judges.  The two last named and O. B. Upton were appointed justices.

Sherrill Township, was established in July, 1848, on petition of E. G. Halbert and others.  The boundaries were from the corners of Sections 5 and 6, Township 33, Range 9, south to where the line crosses Boon's Creek, and along the ridge between that stream and Dry Hollow to the head of Dry Hollow, to William Thornton's house; thence east to the divide leading to the currents at the Red Banks; thence to Red Banks; thence northeast on divide to the eastern line of the county.  Elections were to be held at Ware's store, and J. M. Sherrill, W. Thornton and J. B. Campbell were appointed judges.

Clinton Township, was established in September, 1848, on petition of John Turnbull and others.  The boundaries extended from the southeast corner of Township 28, Range 11; thence to the northwest corner of Township 29, Range 11; thence west to county line, south to Ozark line, and east to beginning.  Elections were to be held at the store of A. Nicholas, and John Hurst, John Turnbull and Stephen Holt were appointed judges.

Jack's Fork Township, or that portion of Texas Township southwest of Spring Valley, was established in June, 1852.  Lamech Thorpe, A. J. Smith, Samuel Rose and R. Harlow were appointed justices, and the latter, with James Pickett and J. P. Johnson, were appointed judges of the election to be held at J. Feur's house.

Upton Township, or all of Roubidoux south of the old White River road, was established in June, 1852, with R. J. Moore, R. C. Jones, L. B. Upton, James McDonald and Evan Shelby, justices, while the judges of election were Osias Upton, at whose house the first meeting was held, James McDonald and J. M. Burkhart.

Polk Township, was established in September, 1852, within the following lines:  From the line of Pulaski County; thence to the point where Coppedge's road crosses Big Pigeon; thence down the Creek to James Patterson's; thence east to county line, and by county boundaries to beginning.  Mitchell D. Jones was appointed justice.  (R. J. Moore and R. C. Jones were appointed justices of Upton).

Currence Township, was established September 2, 1856, and organized at Stephenson's mill.  C. L. Stevenson and James W. Peirce were appointed justices.  The new municipality was taken from Jackson Township.  Cass and Pierce are also among the early divisions of the county.

© 01-26-01
Debbie Linton and Penny Harrell


Back to Index

2007-2008 Rhonda Darnell