[From Goodspeed 1889]
Plato was surveyed at the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 11, Township 32, Range 12, and acknowledged August 22, 1874, by John and Eliza Largent, E. D. and Susanna Harris and William and Louisa Cook. The village is situated on the Rubidoux River, twenty-four miles northwest of Houston and thirty-five miles southeast of Lebanon.
The business circle in 1885 comprised John E. Cunningham, spinning-wheel, wagon and furniture manufacturer; James Embree and William Ruark, furniture dealers; J. W. Jones and Rooke & Lowe, general merchants; Dr. R. B. Lynch, druggist; B. C. Rook and Thomas Smith, physicians; T. M. Lingo, lawyer; Rev. C. J. Frost, school-teacher; Jonas and Joseph Cunningham, carpenters; Jacob Hanby, brick manufacturer; while John Harte's flouring mill is five miles east. Dr. Rook has since died, while Parnell opened his general store. Plato Lodge No. 469, A. F. & A. M., is an old organization of this district, W. T. Moon being Master, and J. M. Embree, Secretary. The village is the business center of a wealthy agricultural community.
Debbie Linton and Penny Harrell
©2007-2008 Rhonda Darnell